Saturday, November 13, 2010

Epiphany

Some weeks ago, I wrote a post about Pat Kane. Although what he had said on 'The Review Show' had enraged me, what I wrote was just rude.
Earlier today, I heard him speak at an event in Edinburgh, about which I'll blog soon. However, it occured to me that while I might not agree with what seems to be Mr. Kane's brand of intellectualism, and while I most certainly do not agree with what seem to be his views on the clergy, the man is flesh and blood, and entitled to the same degree of respect as the rest of humanity. Sometimes it takes a long, long time for the penny to drop, and in this case the original post was yet another of those lapses in Christian charity to which I am uncomfortably prone.
So it has gone, with my apologies for any hurt it might have caused.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger David Farrer said...

Martin:

Good to meet you today.

13 November, 2010 20:05  
Blogger Paulinus said...

Well, up to a point Lord Copper.

I salute your humility and willingness to see your fellow man as a brother worthy of Christian charity, Martin.

Your original point was a good one, however. By what right does a musician hold forth on any moral issue? What special right does a celebrideee have to pour his or her political views in my face? (That's you I'm talking to, Annie Lennox)

Sing the song, score the goal, act the part on screen and go home thereafter, satisfied with the money in your pocket. I go to the Holy Father or my Parish Priest for moral guidance.

14 November, 2010 23:13  
Blogger Martin said...

David,

It was very nice to meet you as well.

Paulinus,

I take your point - however, the Saturday event reminded me that although he might say things one doesn't agree with, or even like, he is entitled to say them just as much as anyone else.

15 November, 2010 08:10  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home