Friday, October 01, 2010

ADHD

When you are diagnosed with a neuropsychiatric condition, the first thing you learn is that such conditions are known to exist.
The second is that Tourettes and ADHD are believed to be related.
The third is that a large number of right wing commentators with no training in neurology are willing to pontificate upon whether ADHD should be considered a genuine illness. If I wish to buy a pound of steak, I do not go to my barber. If I wish to buy a copy of St. Augustine's 'City of God', I will not find on at the fishmongers. When I wish medical advice, I will go the doctor, and will avoid reading blogs.
There is much valid criticism to be made of the now widespread use of SSRI medication. I can recall watching Adam Curtis's 'The Power of Numbers', and the complaint of a Prozac user's husband that their wife was no longer the person they once were. This zombiefication into homogeneity of those who sometimes find life more difficult than others, 'Invasion of the Body Snatchers' made reality, is not wholesome; there is no medical cure for being alive. However, it would be appropriate for the right to keep silent about ADHD, and for a concerted medical effort to be made to determine its causes. The doctors, at least, are bound to do no harm.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Martin Meenagh said...

I agree. The argument behind this is that children in school used never to behave as they do; but they were either beaten or sent to work at 14, and those left were driven and almost self-selected by their powers of concentration. Science can do so much to alleviate those underlying problems that we uncover when we try to treat all people equally.

My one qualification (I do a lot of teaching, which keeps me in kindles and such) is that there is nothing more infuriating than middle-class parents getting paid or agenda-driven consultants to certify their lazy or thick children so that they can steal time and money from others. This is particularly true when I know that I, and people close to me, have been by many measures dyslexic or dyscalculic from birth, but have coped or not demanded help....

01 October, 2010 10:29  
Blogger Dutch Boy said...

ADHD is indeed a medical condition and has been increasing hand-in-hand with its uglier cousin autism.

01 October, 2010 22:51  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home