Monday, June 08, 2009

I've Been Walking These Streets So Long, Singing The Same Old Song...

Once again, Lord Mandelson pontificates on protectionism, the secular religion's mortal sin; yet this time he's off the front pages, relegated to the true believers in the business section. Deo Gratias.
He is globalisation's hardest hardcore fanatic. You and I and your neighbour's cat will be compelled to take what he has to say about trade seriously when he shows us his academic publications on trade theory, or the fortune he has made as a paper-clip entrepreneur. Until then, his continuing fulminations will continue to give this writer uncommon cause for distinctly uncharitable mirth.
I don't know what he believes in; but I believe in a staid, often-repeated form of words that have stood the test of time quite well - 'Give us this day our daily bread'. While not an invocation to gain for its own sake, it does provide some hope that there will be something on the table to eat.
Indeed, as time has gone on, I have realised that the things in life I love most are my God, my wife, my family, my home and my dinner. Lord Mandelson's impact on most of these is limited. This makes him less important than he might think himself to be.
Which means that if we ignore him, perhaps he'll just go away.

2 Comments:

Blogger James Higham said...

Corruption personified, that man.

08 June, 2009 21:24  
Blogger Martin said...

James,

Corruption's maybe a bit harsh. Silliness would be a bit more like it.

09 June, 2009 05:51  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home